Come with us, to a dreamlike day trip from Athens to Argolis. A region that amasses numerous important monuments and superb natural beauty.
As the day starts, we will drive along the coastal road of Attica, parallel to the Saronic Gulf. We will make a short stop at the Corinth Canal, which connects the Aegean And Ionian Seas, while at the same time, it separates Peloponnese from the mainland, offering a unique sight.
Our purpose is to arrive at the archaeological site of Mycenae. It is the Homeric city of Atreides, which poets referred to as the city that as «rich in gold». Entering the ancient city, we will pass through the «Lion’s Gate» and the «Cyclopean Walls». The exploration will lead us to the excavated Royal Tombs.
We'll have lunch at Mycenae and then we will depart for our next destination which will be at the city of Nafplion. We'll drive through the fertile plain of Argolis and, as we close our distance, the view of the picturesque town will unfold. Nestling at the foot of a huge cliff, crowned by the mighty ramparts of the Palamidi Fortress. We'll make a short stop to admire and photograph this majestic scenery.
The final section of our trip will be a visit to Epidaurus. There, we will walk in the ancient Theatre of Epidaurus, that was built in the 4th-century b.C. and maintains a fame for its excellent acoustics until our modern times.
The excursion Mycenae and Epidaurus tour from Athens ends on our way towards Athens.
Sightseeing in Mycenae Sites:
- The imposing Lions Gate, at the entrance of the Mycenaean citadel.
- The royal complex.
- The six royal tombs in the 1st tomb ring (16th cent. b.C.), the granary, the temples and the houses, in the citadel.
- The 2nd tomb ring with the vaulted tombs (14 royal & 12 private), outside the citadel.
- The treasure of Atreus or the tomb of Agamemnon (13th cent. b.C.) & a grandiose tomb near the citadel.
- The Heraion of Argos. A pan-Hellenic centre of worship for the goddess Hera.
- The church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in the village Chonikas (8 km. to the south)
Return to Athens by the National road connecting Epidaurus with Corinth. End of the tour «Mycenae and Epidaurus Day Trip From Athens».